We have searched the web for the best storytelling classes . We analyzed over 895 storytelling courses found on popular education sites like Udemy and Coursera and rated them based on course instructors, number of reviews, ratings, and more. Below is a list of our top 12 favorite storytelling classes. At the very bottom of the post you can check our revision history.
1. Advanced Public Speaking for Profit: Mastering Storytelling
Do you aspire to become an influencing public speaker? If yes, then this course is for you. Discover how you can tell stories in a theatre while engaging the audience completely. By the end of this course, you’ll know the exact time duration and inputs required to keep the audience interested in your stories and speeches, followed by receiving excellent reviews.
You’ll be guided by Doug Stevenson, who is the President of Story Theatre International. He started his career in 1969 as an actor. His company has been training employees from companies like Microsoft, Volkswagen, Maytag, Oracle and Hewlett Packard. In the same name of his company, he has also written a book.
- Select the story you wish to narrate to your audience.
- Create the structure of the story that sticks to the point and engages the audience.
- Learn how to present your story to the audience.
- Look at various modules to learn the art of speaking.
2. Business Branding: The Complete Course Part 2 – Expression
What is one of the best ways of selling your brand to a niche audience? If your niche is an educated one, then telling a story of your brand can be highly engaging and appealing to your target customers. By making use of various events, learn the art of telling your story to the public in a way that makes them remember your brand.
Stephen Houraghan, your tutor for this course is the founder of The Iconic Fox Agency in Sydney which helps companies strategize their branding. He has been working as a brand creator and strategist since 2008 and has been featured by Hubspot, Design Taxi, Marketo, Inside Business and Creative Bloq for his work.
- Start with gaining an understanding of brand psychology.
- Understand the framework of messaging and storytelling.
- Create a visual identity of your brand with its name, tagline and promise.
- Learn to create your brand presence and take it forward.
3. Turbocharge your life and career with the power of story.
We all love listening to music; but instead if we’re listening to someone talk, how long can we listen to the audio? It all depends on the speaker. If an audiobook is your means of communicating to the public and giving a message, then this course will help you engage the audience without having a visual presence.
Your tutor, William Verity started telling stories through a cassette recorder when he was only 7 years old. He graduated in anthropology from Cambridge University and then worked as a print journalist for 25 years. Today, he is a radio producer, also creating documentaries for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Understand how bedtime stories actually work.
- Discover the true power and potential of a story.
- Do some research while preparing your story.
- Get hold of the plus points of utilizing audio.
4. Rhetoric of Story : Learn the 7 foundations of storytelling.
Do you wish to become a successful author? If yes, then this course is for every creative writer who wants their stories in the hearts of their audience. In order to reach out to a million hearts, mere writing isn’t enough – you should be a great narrator of your story while opening the release. This course teaches you exactly how to engage people.
Your instructor, Damien Walter has been researching and writing for The Guardian, Wired, BBC, Oxford University Press, Aeon and The Independent. He was part of the Clarion writers workshop by Neil Gaiman as well as the director of creative writing at the University of Leicester. Today, he guides several businesses coming from various fields to help them narrate their story.
- Understand the purpose of a story and the art of presenting it.
- Discover how you can add a feeling and depth to your narration.
- Learn about the structure of a complex story which has several mini stories within.
- Grasp the main tool of storytelling that you need to utilize – emotions.
5. Hypnotic Metaphor Mastery: Transformational Storytelling.
What does the word “hypnotic” mean to you in terms of storytelling? If you have a basic knowledge of hypnosis, it might be better for you to catch-up with the course content. Basically, you’ll learn the art of involving your audience into your narration at a mental and emotional level. Just as one dives deep into a film, one can also get carried away by a live narration.
Your mentor for this course is Steven Burns. With an experience of 18 years in the field of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), hypnosis and personal development, he’s had over a thousand clients. He also happens to be the co-owner and director of one of the biggest NLP coaching companies in Scotland.
- Introduce yourself to metaphors and storytelling.
- Understand the fundamentals of hypnotic metaphors.
- Gain advanced insights on the practical implementation of these metaphors.
- Study various practical examples on hypnotic metaphors and storytelling.
6. Better Storytelling for Business
Do you want to take your brand to a new level? If yes, then get hold of an event and tell the audience a great story that can sell your brand. If you’re not skilled to do that, then this course is extremely useful for you. By the end of this course, you’ll understand how narrating stories works with an audience and what you need to persuade them.
You’ll be guided by Dominic Green, who is instructing you through communication360 online, which is a team of professionals who reach out to audiences for spreading messages and promoting brands. Dominic is a communication consultant advising management teams and CEOs of various companies to promote brands using the art of storytelling.
- Understand why you are telling a story to the audience.
- Know your audience and how you can keep them engrossed.
- Learn about various themes and structures of a story.
- There are 4 Ps of storytelling that you’ll discover
7. Public Speaking and Presentations Storytelling Mastery Class
Did you know there is a thin line between storytelling and public speaking? Every public speaker needs to incorporate a story while addressing his or her audience. While storytelling may be a vast subject, this course focuses on helping presenters, entrepreneurs and trainers to engage an audience using the art of storytelling.
Jason Teteak is a TEDx speaker and a bestselling author who is now going to teach you the art of storytelling. For 4 years, he was the No. 1 best selling coach on public speaking and training and has more than 100,000 students online. He has developed more than 50 presentation and communication programmes on the basis of his book Rule the Room.
- By listening to different stories, learn how to create your own.
- Learn how to present your story in a way that keeps the audience engrossed into you.
- Add a feel to your story in a way that you can arouse emotions in the audience.
- Ensure your audience is always listening to you and is satisfied in the end.
8. VIDEO STORYTELLING. Creative Excellence Class
When you watch videos online, do you ever dream of seeing yourself on the other side of the screen? Well, it’s not difficult to achieve it on today’s date. All you need to do is open a YouTube channel and sign up for this course. If you aspire to be a non-fictional storyteller and entertainer, then this course will help you create a video that can not only engage but even inspire the audience.
Your mentor will be Andrew St Pierre White. He has been a professional broadcaster, writer and presenter in TV and films for the last 38 years. Additionally, he has directed 80 documentaries, written 17 books and has a YouTube channel with more than 190,000 subscribers and 38 million views. He has also won the Cannes Gold and New York TV Gold awards.
- First, decide what kind of videos you’re interested in creating.
- Learn how to shoot a video at a professional level.
- Learn the art of telling a story creatively.
- Shoot your story and make your final edits before publishing your video.
9. VIDEO EDITING. Techniques loved by pro broadcast filmmakers
This course too focuses on videos that can grab the attention of the audience and engross them completely till the end. Storytelling is not all about narration, it adds various elements of audios and visuals to entertain the audience and keep them listening. You need to learn how to develop curiosity in the audience to make them want more and more.
This is another course designed and guided by Andrew St Pierre White (refer to the point above). Not only is he highly experienced in his field, but is also married to the bestselling author of New York Times, Gwynn White. He passionately shares all his experience and knowledge of almost 4 decades with you and has 5 more courses apart from the 2 in this list.
- Introduce yourself to a professional video editing software.
- Know your audience and understand how to keep them glued to your video.
- Learn about different structures and techniques of storytelling and work with various directors.
- Involve music and sound effects to your story and see how it makes your video more powerful.
10. Storytelling Between Songs
We just saw that mere narration is not the only way of telling stories – sound and music play a great role in it too. This course has a completely different art of storytelling – through music. If you are a musician or singer, then you also have a story to tell your audience on stage. Sign-up for this course and make your performances a lot more memorable for the audience.
You’ll be guided by Tim Tamashiro, who is a professional entertainer and speaker. Initially,he worked at CBC Radio 2 as a host for 1-2 years where he would tell stories and provide music from an American songbook. He now entertains and hosts events at theatres and conventions. Moreover, he’s also working on his book “How to Ikigai”.
- First, understand what your audience wants from you.
- Next, create a story that they can relate and connect to.
- Learn how to start your story, keep the audience engaged till the end and conclude it.
- Keep practicing till you gain the confidence of doing your first show.
11. Screenwriting & Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
Every speaker comes with a goal of sending a message to the audience’s hearts. For an entrepreneur, it could be engraving their brand name and for a film-maker, it could be simply entertaining them and touching their hearts with their story. No matter what category you belong to, this course will help you involve your audience into your story and gain fans.
You’ll be guided by Michael Hauge along with the team of IFH Courses. While Michael is Hollywood’s best screenplay consultant, story expert and author for the last 30 years, IFH Courses are the bestselling instructors in film-making and screenwriting. With the help of the best online film school, he shares his years of knowledge and experience with you here.
- Master the various elements of a story – whether it’s film, TV or fiction.
- Understand how to create your plot, the art of transformation and leading the audience to the climax.
- Involve your audience at an emotional level to your story.
- Gain success at all levels – both artistically and commercially.
12. Glamour Presents: How to Tell Your Story
Are you already a writer who’s looking for a push in his or her career? If yes, then learn the art of presenting your stories in front of the public. In this course, you’ll master the art of storytelling which involves a subject, characters, voice, set-ups and a turning point. It also helps at presenting your written work when you need to go for publishing it.
You’ll be guided by the editor of Glamour Magazine, Elisabeth Egan. After working as an editor for Self and Amazon Publishing, she has been working for Glamour for 3 years now. Apart from Glamour, you’ll find her writings in The New York Times, The LA Times, People, Self, Real Simple and Refinery29. She has also written a novel called “A Window Opens”.
- Discover the connection between essay writing and storytelling.
- Learn how to overcome various obstacles while presenting a story.
- Meet various authors to learn about subject, characters, voice element, sets and action in storytelling.
- Understand how final revisions in a story need to be made.
- List published 02/21/2020 with 12 products.